Personal Injury

Personal-InjuryPersonal Injury is when you have suffered some form of injury, either physical or psychological, as the result of some kind of accident. You may have a case when the personal injury is the result of the negligence or wrongdoing of another person, company, government agency, or other entity. Typically, a personal injury case falls under an area of law called Tort Law, including, but not limited to, the following: work injuries, automobile or other accidents, defective products, medical mistakes, slip and fall accidents, etc. Of these types of cases, I handle automobile accidents and slip and fall accidents. While I do not handle worker’s compensation cases, I do handle cases against third parties for accidents that happen while you are working, such as automobile accidents that occur while you are on the job. If you have a worker’s compensation case, I can refer you to an attorney that is able to help you.

We handle many personal injury cases each year following automobile accidents. Even if you aren’t sure if you need an attorney, you should give us a call. We’ll be able to happy to discuss it with you so you can determine your next steps. But, before you call us, make sure you and everyone else involved are okay and call emergency personnel.

Here are a few of the more common questions people have following an automobile accident.


1.  What should I do when I get into a car accident?

It is certainly important to call the police as soon as the accident occurs. If you are injured, make sure that you either go to the hospital, urgent care or your physician for treatment right away. Don’t just suffer from your injuries at home. Once you get home, you should contact your insurance company and let them know the details of the accident so they can set up a claim—even if the accident was not your fault. It is sometimes faster to resolve the damage to your vehicle with your own company.

2. Should I give a statement to the insurance company?

You must cooperate with your own insurance company. If your own insurance company requires a statement, you should comply. If you can, delay giving a recorded statement to your company until we talk. DO NOT give a statement to the other vehicle owner’s insurance company. You are not required to do so, and it may negatively affect your case.

3. How do I pay an attorney to represent me when I am injured in a car accident?

These cases are taken on a 1/3 contingent fee basis. This means that an attorney will only be paid if you recover money on your case and then only 1/3 of the total settlement. I take pride in never settling a case where my fees are more than what my client receives in the settlement. I always make sure that my clients are taken care of and get what they deserve. I have over 32 years of experience in handling personal injury cases. I do NOT take a fee on the money you receive for your car, but I am happy to help you get the insurance company to pay you for your car damage as soon as possible. You may also be able to get a rental car while your car is being repaired or while you search for a new vehicle.

4. There are so many lawyers who advertise on TV. Why should I use Resnick & Resnick?

There are many attorneys who advertise on TV, on the internet, and on billboards. Also, because accidents are reported to emergency personnel, there are several who will send you letters when you get in an accident. Typically, these attorneys handle a large volume of cases and very often don’t give you the personal attention that I give my clients. I recommend meeting in person. Call me and we’ll set up a time for us to meet and discuss your case, then you can decide if I am the right attorney to handle your personal injury case.

Click here to download a PDF brochure on Personal Injury from the State Bar of Wisconsin Answering your questions about
personal injury.